Entrepreneurs, Here’s A Tip: You Have To Market
So many of our clients are entrepreneurs just like us. And we love being able to exchange ideas for what works and what doesn’t when it comes to starting and growing your own business. So we’ve decided to start a new occasional series here on the blog called Entreprenuers, Here’s a Tip, in which we share useful tips we’ve picked up along the way.
Today’s tip is an obvious one, but can sometimes be overlooked: You have to market. All successful entrepreneurs are marketing constantly. Whether that means attending networking events or advertising online or in print, you have to find a way to get the word out about your business. As the saying from A Field of Dreams goes, “If you build it, they will come,” well, not if they don’t know you’re there. You can open a restaurant, but if nobody knows about it, you’re going to have a lot of empty tables.
Here are some ideas for different ways you can market your new or growing business:
1. Attend conferences in your field. Bring along business cards and make sure you’re handing them out to any and everyone. You never know who you’ll meet or who someone might pass your name along to.
2. Look for Meetup groups for your niche market or even better Meetups that your client demographic might attend.
3. Use social media to get the word out. Don’t underestimate the power of social media in today’s business world. And not just LinkedIn. Most people are checking their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts multiple times a day. Infiltrate those feeds!! This is a great way to drive potential clients to your website.
4. Make conversation with strangers when you’re out and about. Waiting in line at the coffee shop? Strike up a conversation with the person in front of you. The more people you meet, the more people reach you have.
5. Advertise. Online or in print, advertisements get the word out. We have an upcoming post planned about the new shift towards in bound marketing. Keep an eye for it.
6. Our last tip is to make sure that you have a killer website. (Naturally!) If you’re getting the word out about your business, chances are that potential clients will go home and look you up online. Don’t let your first impression fall short by having a mediocre website. Need help? Give us a call! We can help you design something awesome!
These are just a few ways that entrepreneurs can get the word out about their business, but they’re tips that we’ve used and had success with so we hope that some or all will work for you too.
If you’re at a Boston-area Meetup for Entrepreneurs and you see us, say hi!